Welcome to episode 53 of the FREE Audio PANCE and PANRE Physician Assistant Board Review Podcast.
Join me as I cover ten PANCE and PANRE Board review questions from the Academy course content following the NCCPA™ content blueprint (download the FREE cheat sheet) and the PAEA End of Rotation™ Exams Blueprints & Topic Lists.
This week we will be covering ten General Surgery End of Rotation Exam Questions that are now part of the SMARTYPANCE website.
Below you will find an interactive exam to complement the podcast.
I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full board review includes over 2,000 interactive board review questions and is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy and SMARTYPANCE which are now bundled together into one very low price.
- You can download and listen to past FREE episodes here, on iTunes, on Google Play Music or Stitcher Radio.
- You can listen to the latest episode, take an interactive quiz and download your results below.
Listen Carefully Then Take The Quiz
If you can’t see the audio player click here to listen to the full episode.
Episode 51: General Surgery Endo of Rotation Exam Podcast Quiz
The following 10 questions are linked to NCCPA™ Content Blueprint lessons from the SMARTYPANCE and PANRE Board review website. If you are a member you will be able to log in and view this interactive video content.
1. An 18-year-old patient has a tibia/fibula fracture following a motorcycle crash. Twelve hours later the patient presents with increased pain despite adequate doses of analgesics and immobilization. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
2. A 25-year-old male presents to the ED with left calf pain and cramping, as well as nausea and vomiting. He admits to “partying with cocaine all night”. He describes his urine as a dark brown color. Serum creatinine kinase (CK) is 1325 IU/L (Normal Range 32-267 IU/L). Which of the following is the initial mainstay of therapy for this condition?
A. IV rehydration
C. Toradol (Ketorolac)
3. A 42-year-old male presents complaining of a sudden onset of a severe intermittent pain originating in the flank and radiating into the right testicle. He also complains of nausea and vomiting. On examination, the patient is afebrile but restless. Examination of the abdomen reveals tenderness to palpation along the right flank with no rebound or direct testicular tenderness. Urinalysis reveals a pH of 5.4 and microscopic hematuria but is otherwise unremarkable. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
4. What is the term for blue discoloration about the umbilicus?
5. A 25-year-old female presents with right lower quadrant pain, right flank pain, nausea, and vomiting. Her temperature is 39.6 degrees C. There is right CVA tenderness and RLQ tenderness. The pelvic exam is unremarkable. Urinalysis reveals pH 7.0, trace protein, negative glucose, negative ketones, positive blood, and positive nitrates. Specific gravity is 1.022. Microscopy shows 102 RBCs/HPF, 50-75 WBCs/HPF, rare epithelial cells, and WBC casts. The most likely diagnosis is
6. A 26-year-old gravida 0 sexually active female presents to the emergency room complaining of colicky pain in her lower abdomen for the past 12 hours. She passed out earlier in the day while trying to have a bowel movement. Her last menstrual period was 6 weeks ago. She has noted vaginal spotting over the last 24 hours. Vital signs show Temp 37 degrees C, BP 96/60mmHg, P 110, R 16, Oxygen Sat. 98%. Abdominal exam is positive for distension and tenderness. Bowel sounds are decreased. Pelvic exam shows cervical motion and adnexal tenderness. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
7. A 12-year-old boy presents to the office with pain in his legs with activity gradually becoming worse over the past month. He is unable to ride a bicycle with his friends due to the pain in his legs. Examination of the heart reveals an ejection click and accentuation of the second heart sound. Femoral pulses are weak and delayed compared to the brachial pulses. Blood pressure obtained in both arms is elevated. Chest x-ray reveals rib notching. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
8. A 28-year-old male presents with burns sustained from hot grease splashed on his left hand earlier this afternoon. The burn extends from his palm to the volar aspect of his wrist and has an erythematous base, covered by an intact blister. There are a few small scattered blisters over the dorsum of the left hand. Which of the following is the initial intervention of choice?
A. Tetanus prophylaxis
B. Admission to a burn unit
C. Intravenous fluid administration
D. Debridement of blisters
9. Which of the following is the selected method for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in a 38-year-old male undergoing an inguinal hernia repair?
A. early ambulation
B. elastic stockings
C. intermittent pneumatic compression
D. low-molecular weight heparin
10. A patient presents with abdominal pain in the right lower quadrant, examination reveals increased pain in the right lower quadrant on deep palpation of the left lower quadrant. This is commonly known as which of the following?
Looking for all the podcast episodes?
This FREE series is limited to every other episode, you can download and enjoy the complete audio series by joining The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy + SMARTYPANCE
I will be releasing new episodes every few weeks. The Academy is discounted, so sign up now.
Resources and Links From The Show
- Join the PANCE and PANRE Academy + Smarty PANCE
- My list of recommended PANCE and PANRE review books
- Download the FREE PANCE and PANRE Blueprint Checklist
- Sign up for the FREE daily PANCE and PANRE email series
- The Smarty PANCE NCCPA Content Blueprint Website + The PA Life Academy
- USE CODE “PALIFE” TO GET 10% OFF THE RUTGERS PANCE AND PANRE REVIEW COURSE
This Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for Android
- iTunes: The Audio PANCE AND PANRE Podcast iTunes
- Stitcher Radio: The Audio PANCE and PANRE Podcast Stitcher
Download The Content Blueprint Checklist
Follow this link to download your FREE copy of the Content Blueprint Checklist
Print it up and start crossing out the topics you understand, marking the ones you don’t and making notes of key terms you should remember. The PDF version is interactive and linked directly to the individual lessons on SMARTY PANCE.