Join me as I cover ten PANCE and PANRE Board review questions from the Academy course content following the NCCPA™ content blueprint (download the FREE cheat sheet).
This week we will be covering ten general board review questions based on the NCCPA PANCE and PANRE Content Blueprint.
Below you will find an interactive exam to complement the podcast.
I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full board review includes over 2,000 interactive board review questions and is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy and SmartyPANCE which are now bundled together into one very low price.
- You can download and listen to past FREE episodes here, on iTunes, on Google Play Music or Stitcher Radio.
- You can listen to the latest episode, take an interactive quiz and download your results below.
Listen Carefully Then Take The Quiz
If you can’t see the audio player click here to listen to the full episode.
Episode 51 PANCE and PANRE Podcast Quiz
The following 10 questions are linked to NCCPA Content Blueprint lessons from the SMARTYPANCE and PANRE Board review website. If you are a member you will be able to log in and view this interactive video content.
1. A 42-year-old male with a history of constipation presents with complaints of severe pain with defecation described as feeling like he is “tearing apart.” He has also noted occasional small amounts of blood on toilet paper. External examination of the rectum is unremarkable and an internal rectal exam cannot be performed due to severe pain when attempted. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
View this ReelDx patient video case of a 51-year-old with rectal bleeding and abdominal pain (proctitis)
2. What type of chest pain is most commonly associated with a dissecting aortic aneurysm?
B. Dull, aching
C. Ripping, tearing
3. A 15-year-old softball player presents after jamming the distal tip of her finger into severe flexion. She is unable to extend the distal phalanx and she has pain on palpation of the distal interphalangeal joint. X-ray of the hand fails to reveal any associated avulsion fracture. Which of the following is the treatment of choice?
A. Open reduction and internal fixation
B. Continuous extension of the DIP with splinting
C. Continuous flexion of the PIP with splinting
D. Application of short arm cast
Soft tissue injuries of the forearm, wrist, and hand are covered as part of the NCCPA Musculoskeletal Content Blueprint and accounts for 10% of the exam
4. A patient presents with loss of pigmentation on the back of hands, face, and body folds due to the absence of epidermal melanocytes. There has been improvement with PUVA treatment. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
View this ReelDx patient video case of a 7-year-old female with localized, depigmented skin patches; rash
5. Which of the following medications used in the management of anxiety has a delayed onset of action?
A. Buspirone (BuSpar)
B. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
C. Lorazepam (Ativan)
D. Butalbital (Fiorinal)
6. A 57-year-old male was working on his farm when some manure was slung hitting his left eye. He presents several days after with a red, tearing, painful eye. Fluorescein stain reveals uptake over the cornea looking like a shallow crater. Which of the following interventions would be harmful?
A. Ophthalmic antibiotics
B. Pressure patch
C. Examination for visual acuity
D. Copious irrigation
7. A 75-year-old female falls on her outstretched arm. She sustains a humeral mid-shaft fracture. Nerve impingement occurs due to the fracture. What is the most likely physical examination abnormality that will be encountered?
A. Inability to extend the wrist against resistance
B. Numbness over the deltoid muscle in the shoulder
C. Winging of the scapula
D. Weakness of the rotator cuff
Fractures and dislocations of the forearm, wrist, and hand are covered as part of the NCCPA Musculoskeletal Content Blueprint and accounts for 10% of the exam
8. A 16-year-old male involved in a fight sustained a laceration to his right upper eyelid. He is unable to open his eye, and a possible laceration of the globe is suspected. Which of the following is the next step?
A. Use a slit lamp to determine the extent of the injury.
B. Use fluorescein strips to determine the extent of the injury.
C. Apply a metal eye shield and refer to an ophthalmologist.
D. Apply antibiotic ointment to the lid and recheck in 24 hours.
66-year-old female with acute onset of periorbital deformity. SmartyPANCE ReelDx + members can view this real-world case!
9. Which of the following typical findings would be revealed during a sigmoidoscopy on a patient with Crohn’s disease of the intestine?
A. Rectal pseudopolyps
B. Diffuse ulceration and bleeding
C. Sheets of WBCs with inflamed mucosa
D. Intermittent longitudinal mucosal ulcers and fissures
10. A 72-year-old patient with a history of hypertension and atrial fibrillation presents with episodes of weakness, numbness, and paresthesia’s in the right arm. At the same time, she notes speech difficulty and loss of vision in her left eye. These symptoms come on abruptly and clear within minutes. Physical examination is normal except for the previously known arrhythmia. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
Looking for all the podcast episodes?
This FREE series is limited to every other episode, you can download and enjoy the complete audio series by joining The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy + SMARTYPANCE
I will be releasing new episodes every few weeks. The Academy is discounted, so sign up now.
Resources and Links From The Show
- Join the PANCE and PANRE Academy + Smarty PANCE
- My list of recommended PANCE and PANRE review books
- Download the FREE PANCE and PANRE Blueprint Checklist
- Sign up for the FREE daily PANCE and PANRE email series
- The Smarty PANCE NCCPA Content Blueprint Website + The PA Life Academy
- USE CODE “PALIFE” TO GET 10% OFF THE RUTGERS PANCE AND PANRE REVIEW COURSE
This Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for Android
- iTunes: The Audio PANCE AND PANRE Podcast iTunes
- Stitcher Radio: The Audio PANCE and PANRE Podcast Stitcher
Download The Content Blueprint Checklist
Follow this link to download your FREE copy of the Content Blueprint Checklist
Print it up and start crossing out the topics you understand, marking the ones you don’t and making notes of key terms you should remember. The PDF version is interactive and linked directly to the individual lessons on SMARTY PANCE.