The Audio PANCE and PANRE is an audio board review series that includes 10 Multiple Choice PANCE and PANRE Board Review Questions in each episode.
I created this audio series to help you fill some downtime when you are unable to read (like in the car) with some useful board review.
I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full series is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy.
1. Which of the following is a staphylococcal infection characterized by a localized red swollen and acutely tender abscess of the upper or lower eyelid?
2. Progesterone influence on the breast tissue prior to menstruation causes
A. proliferation of the mammary ducts.
B. growth of the lobules and alveoli.
C. proliferation of Cooper’s ligaments.
D. increase in the number of glands of Montgomery.
3. A 3 year-old girl is diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. Which of the following disorders is this child at risk for in the future?
B. Tinea pedis
C. Squamous carcinoma
D. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
4. A patient presents with chronic back pain. On physical examination testing, the patient is found to have abnormalities of proprioception and vibration discrimination. Which of the following portions of the spinal column are most likely affected?
A. Lateral spinothalamic tract
B. Ventral spinothalamic tract
C. Posterior column
D. Transection of the cord
5. A 44 year-old female presents for follow-up results of her lipid profile. She is asymptomatic and has a past medicalhistory of hypothyroidism treated with levothyroxine and hypertension controlled with atenolol (Tenormin). She drinks an average of 6 alcoholic beverages a day and smokes 1 pack per day for the last 32 years. Her family history is unremarkable for premature coronary artery disease. Her fasting blood glucose is 98 mg/dL, total cholesterol is 198 mg/dL, LDL cholesterol is 132 mg/dL, HDL cholesterol is 56 mg/dL and triglycerides of 90 mg/dL. Excluding LDL cholesterol levels, how many major risk factors for coronary artery disease does this female possess?
6. A 65 year-old patient with steroid-dependent chronic obstructive lung disease presents with a headache that has been increasing in severity over the past week, accompanied by nausea and vomiting. He denies fever, but has had photophobia and a stiff neck. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Transient ischemic attack
B. Bacterial meningitis
C. Migraine headache
7. A 40 year-old female presents with a 1.5 cm well-circumscribed mass noted on mammography in the right upper, outer quadrant. Which of the following procedures is most appropriate and should be done next?
A. Fine needle aspiration
B. BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genetic testing
C. Serum CA-125
D. Radiation therapy
8. On examination of a pregnant patient the physician assistant notes the fundal height is at the level of the umbilicus. This corresponds to what gestational age?
A. 16 weeks
B. 20 weeks
C. 24 weeks
D. 28 weeks
9. Which of the following is a common symptom associated with laryngotracheobronchitis (viral croup)?
B. High fever
C. “Hot potato” voice
D. Barking cough
10. A 23 year-old female with history of asthma for the past 5 years presents with complaints of increasing shortness ofbreath for 2 days. Her asthma has been well-controlled until 2 days ago. Since yesterday, she has been using heralbuterol inhaler every 4 to 6 hours. She is normally very active, however yesterday she did not complete her 30minute exercise routine due to increasing dyspnea. She denies any cough, fever, recent surgeries, or use of oralcontraceptives. On examination, you note the presence of prolonged expiration and diffuse wheezing. The remainder of the exam is unremarkable. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial diagnostic evaluation prior to initiation of treatment?
A. Chest x-ray
B. Sputum gram stain
C. Peak flow
D. Ventilation-perfusion scan
Looking for all the episodes?
This FREE series is limited to every 3rd episode, you can download and enjoy the complete audio series by joining The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy.
I will be be releasing new episodes every two weeks. The Academy is currently discounted at $35 for the entire year, so sign up now.
This Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for Android
- iTunes: The Audio PANCE AND PANRE Podcast iTunes
- Stitcher Radio: The Audio PANCE and PANRE Podcast Stitcher
And, as always, if you haven’t already, make sure to download Brian Wallaces’ excellent Physician Assistant Exam Review Podcast. Follow along with Brian who covers new topics twice monthly and really does an amazing job! He is running a contest on his site to win some free goodies! You can sign up to win free stuff here!