I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full series is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy.
- You can download and listen to past FREE episodes here, on iTunes or Stitcher Radio.
- You can listen to the latest episode, download the transcript and take an interactive quiz of the questions below.
Listen Carefully Then Take The Quiz
The Audio PANCE and PANRE Episode 13
1. During a baseball game, a 22 year-old college student is hit in the right eye by a baseball. He complains of blurry vision in that eye. On physical exam, the physician assistant notes proptosis of the right eye, and limitation of movement in all directions. On CT scan, which of the following is most likely to be seen?
A. Fracture of the medial orbital wall
B. Prolapse of orbital soft tissue
C. Hematoma of the orbit
D. Orbital emphysema
2. Which of the following physical findings is suggestive of atrial septal defect?
A. Fixed split S2
B. Increased pulse pressure
C. Continuous mechanical murmur
D. Difference in blood pressure between the left and right arm
3. Which of the following is essential to make a diagnosis of cystic fibrosis?
A. Positive family history
B. Elevated sweat chloride
C. Recurrent respiratory infections
D. Elevated trypsinogen levels
4. In infants, the eyes should move in parallel without deviation by the age of
A. 2 weeks.
B. 3 months.
C. 6 months.
D. 1 year.
5. Which of the following physical exam findings is consistent with moderate emphysema?
A. Increased tactile fremitus
B. Dullness to percussion
C. Distant heart sounds
D. Deviated trachea
6. Which of the following is the most common indication for operative intervention in patients with chronic pancreatitis?
A. Weight loss
B. Intractable pain
C. Exocrine deficiency
D. To decrease risk of cancer
7. A 22 year old male presents to the ED with pain that radiates to his shoulders and is relieved with sitting forward. The patient admits to recent upper respiratory symptoms. On examination vital signs are BP 126/68, HR 86, RR 20, temp 100.3 degrees F. There is no JVD noted. Heart exam reveals regular rate and rhythm with no S3 or S4. There is a friction rub noted. Lungs are clear to auscultation. EKG shows diffuse ST segment elevation. What is the treatment of choice in this patient?
C. Percutaneous coronary intervention
D. Indomethacin (Indocin)
8. As a general rule, sutures in the face should be removed in
A. 3 days.
B. 5 days.
C. 7 days.
D. 10 days.
9. Patient education for a 23 year-old using oral contraceptives should include which of the following?
A. Rifampin may decrease the effectiveness of the oral contraceptives.
B. Acetaminophen may decrease the effectiveness of the oral contraceptives.
C. Oral contraceptives may provide some protection from coronary artery disease.
D. Changing to the “minipill” (progestin only) will inhibit ovulation more consistently than combination oral contraceptives.
10. When performing a rectal examination, prostatic massage is contraindicated in
A. acute bacterial prostatitis.
B. chronic bacterial prostatitis.
C. nonbacterial prostatitis.
This Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for Android
- iTunes: The Audio PANCE AND PANRE Podcast iTunes
- Stitcher Radio: The Audio PANCE and PANRE Podcast Stitcher