I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full series is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy.
- You can download and listen to past FREE episodes here, on iTunes or Stitcher. (sometimes it takes a few hours to show up on iTunes after publication)
- You can listen to the latest episode, download the transcript and take an interactive quiz of the questions below.
Listen Carefully Then Take The Quiz
The Audio PANCE and PANRE Episode 11
1. What is the initial treatment of choice for hyperthyroidism in a 10-week pregnant patient?
A. No treatment is necessary.
B. Propylthiouracil (PTU)
C. Radioiodine treatment
D. Subtotal thyroidectomy
2. A patient presents with eye pain and blurred vision. Snellen testing reveals vision of 20/200 in the affected eye and 20/20 in the unaffected eye. Fluorescein staining reveals the presence of a dendritic ulcer. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Viral keratitis
B. Fungal corneal ulcer
C. Acanthamoeba keratitis
D. Bacterial corneal ulcer
And in case you were wondering:
B. Fungal corneal ulcers have an indolent course with intraocular infection being common but fluorescein staining is negative for a dendritic pattern.
C. Acanthamoeba keratitis has a waxing and waning course over several months and has no fluorescein staining in a dendritic pattern.
D. Bacterial corneal ulcers can progress aggressively resulting in corneal perforation. Fluorescein staining does not occur in a dendritic pattern.
3. A 63 year-old female with history of diabetes mellitus presents for blood pressure follow-up. At her last two visits her blood pressure was 150/92 and 152/96. Today in the office her blood pressure is 146/92. Recent blood work shows a Sodium 140 mEq/L, Potassium 4.2 mEq/L, BUN of 23 mg/dL, and Creatinine of 1.1 mg/dL. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial medication in this patient?
A. Terazosin (Hytrin)
B. Atenolol (Tenormin)
C. Lisinopril (Zestril)
D. Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)
4. What is the EKG manifestation of cardiac end-organ damage due to hypertension?
A. Right bundle branch block
B. Left ventricular hypertrophy
C. Right ventricular hypertrophy
D. ST segment elevation in lateral precordial leads
5. Annual blood pressure determinations should be obtained beginning at the age of
A. 3 years.
B. 5 years.
C. 12 years.
D. 18 years.
6. In adults and intravenous drug abusers, which of the following bones is most commonly affected with acute osteomyelitis?
C. Vertebral spine
7. Treatment of the patient with Pediculosis pubis consists of which of the following?
A. Permethrin (Nix) cream
B. Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin)
C. Podofilox (Condylox) solution
D. Selenium sulfide (Selsun) suspension
8. A 43 year-old asymptomatic diabetic female is found to have an elevated total calcium level of 12.4 mg/dL. Which of the following tests must be assessed in order to evaluate this laboratory abnormality?
A. Intact parathyroid hormone
B. Serum albumin
C. 24 hour urine calcium level
D. Complete blood count
9. Which of the following conditions would cause a positive Kussmaul’s sign on physical examination?
A. Left ventricular failure
B. Pulmonary edema
C. Coarctation of the aorta
D. Constrictive pericarditis
10. Treatment of Bell’s palsy includes which of the following?
B. Reassurance of the patient’s recovery
C. Referral to a neurosurgeon
Looking for all the episodes?
This FREE series is limited to every 3rd episode, you can download and enjoy the complete audio series by joining The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy.
I will be be releasing new episodes every two weeks. The Academy is currently discounted, so sign up now.
This Podcast is also available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for Android
- iTunes: The Audio PANCE AND PANRE Podcast iTunes
- Stitcher Radio: The Audio PANCE and PANRE Podcast Stitcher